View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
bigdog

Zone: 8b
Name: Frank
BananaBucks : 676,169
Said "Thanks" 210 Times
Was Thanked 1,784 Times in 502 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 131 Times
Send a message via AIM to bigdog Send a message via MSN to bigdog
Default Re: what are the brown spots?

It's a leaf spot disease, caused by a fungus. It's not going to kill your plant, but it will not be aesthetically pleasing. I would recommend spraying with a copper fungicide, or other fungicide indicated for leaf spot disease. Sadly, the only way to get rid of it...is to defoliate your plant and destroy the affected leaves. You can try spraying the soil as well, or just repot into some fresh soil, making sure to wash all of the old soil away completely before repotting (that's what I would do). Try to keep the plant just a bit on the dry side if you are growing it inside. This fungus likes cool, wet conditions to thrive. Giving it the exact opposite conditions will hurt it. I would completely defoliate it though, especially since you only have a few leaves to begin with. You could wash the leaves off with a paper towel and a 10% bleach solution, and then spray the fungicide, and that may help to kill the spores. They hide in the middle of the black spots. If you get down there with a good magnifying glass, you can see them.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bigdog

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors