View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
JCDerrick
KeoniKale

Zone: 8b
Name: John
BananaBucks : 71,426
Said "Thanks" 68 Times
Was Thanked 126 Times in 73 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 15 Times
Send a message via AIM to JCDerrick
Default Re: overwintered pups in garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by man with the yellow hat View Post
yes, i remove all pups, and dont worry about digging up to many roots, they will grow back in the spring, and this way they will flower for you also. Good luck, and use a hand dolley to save your back.
Thanks, will do. I moved a few in the middle of the year and was surprised how quickly they bounced back. It seems only the pups take a while to get going again when split. I would love to see them flower too, even if that means a stalk dying back. I just get the feeling that even with our humid summers, they'll never reach full height unless I protect them in the winter. I'll be digging up about half of them, so I'll get a good idea of what digging them up, versus leaving in the ground produces.

I do know one I left in the ground last year has pupped like crazy this year, where as two of my first year bananas (which were half its size) are much bigger than the one left in the ground now heading into the fall. So I suspect digging them up is the sure way to keep big bananas.

And I think your pots are bigger than I thought when I looked at the full sized photo. Are those 20" or so?

Thanks again.

Normal Jan. Low: 34°F, Normal Jul High: 92°F
Coldest: 16-20°F, Warmest: 98-103°F
Annual Precip: 48 inches
JCDerrick is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JCDerrick