View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,340,066
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: 'Hua Moa' freakazoid sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaclese View Post
This is just a thought.! Isn't there a condition that develops when you clone from a clone for many generations?. I believe this is called repplicant fading. The genetic material begins to degrade or differentiate from the original geneoms paturn?. For example a human cell can only divide five to seven times then the cell dies this is primarily due to the gene fraing at its ends. If my observations are true this is a good example as to why cloning is a negative in the long run. we are alwas talking about biodiversity
So I asked this question how is Tc synonymous with biodiversity?.
I think it's important that if one is going to go mucking around the genome that we fully understand the nature of these genetic variations. If 60% of the world depends on bananas for their starch this is an important food crop. This may appear not to relate to our little hobby but in fact it does these tissue culture labs are making plants of an inferior genetic quality. Without regard to the consequences to the world's Food Supply. I know this may sound alarmist but really consider the consequences
It is true that if you keep using the same line you will get an increased rate of "off-type" mutants. However, this is most commonly seen among the retail end of the science that sell to nurseries in bulk. The people who do research or produce the plants for farmers (such as the lab I work for), know this can be a problem and take the needed actions. In our lab, we only subculture a line 5 times. If we run out material, we go collect a fresh field grown sucker before re-culturing any of our old stock that is at its limit. This greatly reduces the occurrence of off-types and keeps our lines uniform.