View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tropicallvr

Name: Kyle
BananaBucks : 427,458
Said "Thanks" 230 Times
Was Thanked 414 Times in 163 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 14 Times
Default Re: 2008 Seedlings - Seed Mix Up!

I haven't tried Musa sikkimensis red tiger from seed, but if all the plants have the tell tale dark red splashes when grown from seed then it is likely red tiger. I know with the regular sikkimensis seeds you get some that are red splashed and some that are not. With Musa sikkimensis 'red flash' they all seemed to have the red coloring. Also pure sikkimensis isn't supposed to have any wax, and the two other hybrids you have will likey have some wax, but some also seem to have faint red splashes. Telling the difference between the two hybrids might be difficult, but I'll post some pics in a few months of those two hybrid types, and that might help you. The Musa cheesmani's should be really easy to distinguish from the rest, really narrow leaf, and it will get even more different with age.
The mixing of the Musa balbisiana's and the Musa 'Formosiana' is a really tough one. The Musa formosiana actually has turned out to be a form of Musa balbisiana from Tawain, so you gonna have alot of trouble telling the three apart, but the M.aurticana should be a chinch to tell from the rest.
Another way to tell might be to search next to the stems for the seed, and find some pictures for reference. I have some seed pictures in my gallery that might help.
Tropicallvr is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Tropicallvr