View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oblofusc

BananaBucks : 41,061
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 30 Times in 5 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default I'm a lawbreaker! Stole some pups from State of Florida!

So there's this road near my house which borders a state park. I notice one day last year that there's a big mat of bananas growing a few hundred feet off the road in a power line right-of-way that cuts across the road and into the park. I vow to snatch a pup some day to add it to my yard's motley collection of various nanners. I figure what with the crappy soil and near drought conditions these things must be hardy, whatever they are. They probably sprouted from someone dumping there. They are nowhere else in that park, and I hardly think the state obtained them in order to plant them in an obscure place in a power line right-of-way. (Come to think of it, they technically may have been the property of the City of Tallahassee, since they were in the utility right-of-way.)

So finally I make it over there the other morning with my little army folding shover, and I dig out three pups. The "soil" was atrocious, clayey and full of road stones. I notice that a few of the big ones in the mat have already fruited! (Mine in my yard have not yet!) Pathetic little fruit at that, and no wonder, given the conditions. The mat was generally undernourished looking, a bit on the pale side, I could tell that with a bit of good soil and more watering they'd be robust and worthy specimens.

Feeling like a bandit, I hightailed it home, and planted them in pots with nice moist dirt.

Being as I work for the state, to assuage my guilt and compensate for my theft, I worked an extra 10 minutes overtime yesterday (for which we don't get paid).

I CAN STOP ANYTIME. REALLY. I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM.
Oblofusc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Oblofusc
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors