View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
proletariatcsp

Zone: zone 10
Name: Chris in FL
BananaBucks : 90,471
Said "Thanks" 148 Times
Was Thanked 186 Times in 83 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Nursery find, labeled 'Sangria Banana?

Went back to the Nursey yesterday and found this little guy hiding in the mature plants.
It didn't look very good as it was really water logged, and growing in moldy pine bark mulch.

Still, it seemed to have some potential with having so many pups, so I adopted it!

Here it is as found, labeled "sangria banana?" or, Musa zebrina (blood banana)

When I got it home I immediately removed it from this muck and washed it clean before putting it in the new pot.
50/50 Scotts and African Violet mix (pH 6.0-6.8). There was leftovers from the former parent plant, so I removed
the mushy roots and exposed the thick white ones.

You can see just how many pups there are here, and also note, the mold damage on the p.stems.
With any luck it will clear up since the newer leaves seem to be healthy still.

Weird happenings. . .

When I opened up my bag of potting mix there were about 20, 2-3mm baby tree frogs on top, inside the bag.
It was really strange because there was no water, so how did they hatch?

Apparently, they are born in self contained swimming pools
known as "direct development eggs", thereby, completely skipping the tadpole stage.

Pretty awesome!

I didn't take this picture, I'm not that good! LOL

Last edited by proletariatcsp : 07-18-2008 at 11:21 AM.
proletariatcsp is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To proletariatcsp
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors