View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lilith

Zone: 9
Name: Gina Anne
BananaBucks : 80,916
Said "Thanks" 20 Times
Was Thanked 136 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default My Jade Vine set seeds

This is supposedly a rather rare occurence for this rare tropical vine outside of its native habitat (the Phillipines). Every once in a while I am told a vine in Miami will set seed, but for my vine, it may have been a once in a lifetime event because mine is grown completely enclosed inside a greenhouse.

We still haven't figured out what pollinated it, it had to have been either a butterfly, a wasp or a bee that got trapped inside the greenhouse while the door was open and the plant was in flower in February/March, or perhaps ants.

Research I looked at on the web said that the Kew Gardens had a plant for something like 20+ years that only set seed after they hand pollinated it. I didn't hand pollinate mine, LOL, I wouldn't even know how.

Anyway, here is a photo of the really cool seeds and the seed pod they came out of. There are seven, and they are all up for trade. You can email me if you have an offer. Since they are extremely rare, it'll have to be a pretty good offer. No postage, no international mail.

I emailed the guys at the Fairchild Gardens in Miami to ask them about the seeds when the pod first developed. They said that they germinate easily and told me how to best plant them.

11/2008 Outer Banks Marathon 26.2, Kitty Hawk NC--3:50
2/2009 5 Points of Life Marathon, 26.2, Gainesville FL--4:00
4/2009 Boston Marathon, 26.2-- 4:38
10/2009 Marine Corps Marathon, DC, 26.2--457
1/2010 Houston Marathon, 26.2--3:55:09
2/2010 5 Points of Life Marathon, Gainesville--415
Halloween Day 2010 Marine Corps Marathon, DC--
2/2011--Austin TX Marathon--
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lilith
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors