View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #358 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 97,592
Said "Thanks" 1,309 Times
Was Thanked 1,702 Times in 759 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 991 Times
Default Re: What did you plant today (bananas)?

qwkslver, Welcome again!

I don't know what part of the state you're in, but SC is either Zone 7 to the NW, or Zone 8 to the SW. In any case, those plants that you planted won't make it outside in the yard without generous protection. I'm in Zone 8b (allegedly) in Seattle, WA and I've been growing several banana varieties that I thought would do well outside with some protection, i.e., visqueen over the plants in the winter, or a cold greenhouse. But even those were pretty difficult so far. If you don't mind seeded varieties, you might try planting M. Basjoo and Mussella Lasiocarpa. I've seen pictures of them in snow. Though, personally, I give them some minimal protection.

Along the same lines, with a little extra protection, in my experience, D. Orinoco, CA Gold, and TX Star would be great plants to plant outside, if you want seedless fruit.

My results have fluctuated over the years, as I get closer and closer to some varieties that have survived despite the varying temperatures and sunlight conditions in our area. In the mid 90s, I had 2 Red Abyssinian bananas that survived several winters, where they even got snowed in, without a scratch. They grew even taller the following summers. Then one winter, even though we did not have much freezing weather, I noticed one of them was tilting. When I touched the plant to check on it, it fell and exposed a rotting corm. Lesson learned: Do not let the root of you banana be soaking in water in the cold weather. So happened that during that time, Seattle experienced daily rain for almost 2 months, stopped a day, then rain again for several weeks. And the temperature was around 34°F! Those plants lasted me 4 or 5 years. Ironically, they were from Ty Ty Nursery ( they were much milder then). I tried to buy replacements but they didn't want to sell any plants to WA state residents, due to some kind of restrictions or something.

In the winter of 2006, 98% of my plants survived our temperatures that dipped into the single digits, even when we lost power for 7 days and 6 nights, when it was 5° - 6°. Last winter, all my Super Dwarf Cavendish perished. So did 5 Dwarf Brazilians (2 sword pups & 3 TC), my 2 remaining Dwarf Niņos, Ice Cream, Goldfinger, 2 Raja Puri, 2 Zebrinas and several others. What remained were CA Gold, Thonsonii, Balbisiana - all green! Also, but not so green are a dozen D. Orinocos that I've had from TC from Agristarts. When the sun shows up in Seattle, I'll be having a memorial service for my fallen friends.

I just got several bananas from eBay. I got my CA Gold, 1 D Barazilian, and 1 Zebrina from my esteemed friend, Mr. Joe R. My D. Orinocos and D. Niņos are from Agristarts. Thomsonii and Balbisiana from our Moderator Gabe.

When I finish my hot section of my greenhouse, I'll be on the hunt for a Ae'Ae. Well, actually, I already know where I'm gonna get them. Right now, I'm ordering some bananas from Mr. Ben Poirier in San Diego.
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Said thanks: