View Single Post
Old 05-04-2024, 11:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
WildernessGreen

BananaBucks : 1,525
Said "Thanks" 39 Times
Was Thanked 41 Times in 23 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Growing Bananas at 8000 feet/searching for A'ea'e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff zone 8 N.C. View Post
If my eyes do not deceive me that piece of the corm closest to your palm can be sprouted. Treat it with fungicide and plant in perlite or coarse sand. Do not keep it wet. Just barely moist and err towards dry. If you do not have fungicide then use cinnamon spice but for such a valuable plant and because it would ease your pain to save it I would get fungicide.
Also you seem to know how to grow a great AeAe but I would look up PR-Giants posts, here, to brush up on sprouting small starts like you have. He seems to have that perfected.
Thank you so much for your advice - I'm in no way any sort of musa expert, but am an experienced hobbyist, and have sprouted many corms like this the over the years - BUT, this is an A'ea'e!!

While A'ea'e, may be more tricky, here is the OTHER side of the equation.

I have a lot of unknown (probably dwarf Cavendish) pups all over the place, from mother plants I got long before the internet. I have thrown literally hundreds of pups onto my compost pile over the years, as there isn't too much of a market for dwarf banana pups in the Rockies.....

I had one come up in an old planter bed of mine, where I needed the space for other stuff, so I chopped the mama plant down last summer, and dug down deep to get all traces of the corm out. And THEN in mid winter, A NEW PUP SHOWED UP!!! So once again, I dug down about a foot, removing ALL TRACES of this darn pup. And yup, a few days ago, she sent up ANOTHER pup, this time, I dug down 2 feet, and I think I got all of her this time.

Another story - when throwing some pups away I didn't need, I put the soil from the pots, into my main potting mix area, and potted up some young Fig Trees. This was 2 years ago. I had sifted the new soil into the fig I THOUGHT very carefully. Yet somehow, some tiny corm got by me, and A YEAR later, she sprouted out of the potted Fig - surprising the heck out of me. I dug her and and decided to keep this one, she is currently about 6' tall, and doin' great!

Ahhh....if only A'ea'e's, love, and life were this simple........

Amado
WildernessGreen is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To WildernessGreen
Said thanks: