View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 07:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
Jeff zone 8 N.C.

BananaBucks : 7,840
Said "Thanks" 428 Times
Was Thanked 412 Times in 194 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 24 Times
Default Re: Uganda - a few pics

To amend my late night post above, I want to post some observations. I am thinking the larger range of temps (50sF -90sF/ maybe even 100F) and uneven and variable ranges of temp contributed to the seeds sprouting in mass. I particularly think the very high temps were critical. I say that because they have mostly languished all winter till they saw the above conditions and then there was multiple sprouts at once. Moisture levels did not change from before. When they were in the small picnic cooler with a heat mat they experienced more even temps even though I varied those temps every 3 or 4 weeks. In the cooler the high day temps cool down very slowly at night, when the timer cut off all heat. In my greenhouse the temp drop is rapid, since heat has been disconnected for this year. Since it does not get early morning sun it warms up slowly and then when sun hits it around 10AM it gets a rapid heat up. As far as light goes I have never understood why banana seed advice says the seeds need light to sprout. That does not make sense to me but if anyone can tell me the reasoning I will be glad to listen and learn. In the cooler they got zero light except when I opened it each weekend to check for sprouts. And I only had the 2 sprouts early on, in the cooler, without light. In the greenhouse the seeds were still buried where they could not get light but I can see that if I had had them in sun instead of shade then they might respond to warmth on the surface of the soil when sun hits it.
I made some other physical observations which may mean zero because it has not been long enough growing these. Of my original two sprouts sprout "C" was a little taller and it has continued to maintain a slight height advantage over "B". All my current sprouts of group "C" are also taller than "B" sprouts. Again this could mean nothing as it could just be a little seed group variability.
Jeff zone 8 N.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Jeff zone 8 N.C.
Said thanks: