Thread: Winter Grow
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 07:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 1,234
Said "Thanks" 3,865 Times
Was Thanked 11,708 Times in 4,870 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Default Re: Winter Grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdoofus View Post
Thanks to a good kick in the ass from Cincinanna vis-a-vis this comment:

"Even more important is the lighting and temperature of the planned indoor growing area. Without the correct environment, the soil is meaningless."

I am shifting gears on my over wintering setup.

These are the plants I plan on experimenting with this year and so far, they have been doing well and are growing pretty quickly. I know, this is a repeat of a post in a different thread, however all of the plants are in here now and I figured a separate thread would be a good way to log the performance over the next 5-6 months.

This is not intended to be "my" thread and I certainly invite anyone to relay any expertise, experiences and pictures they care to, especially with regard to setups that keep plants growing over winter in our northern (or southern) colder climates.

To make your plants more comfortable water them with warm water and a drop or two of a wetting agent or dish detergent to break the surface tension(hydrophobic soil) of your soilless mix. This will make the water soak in instead of running off the side gap between the mix and the container.

Many times gardeners claim they have fast-draining soil but in reality, the water just runs to the gap on the side of the container and out the drain holes and fails to fully hydrate the container.