Thread: Stunted Ae'Ae ?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 07:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Robbertico18

Zone: 8b/9a
BananaBucks : 22,710
Said "Thanks" 298 Times
Was Thanked 280 Times in 108 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Stunted Ae'Ae ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROBBINS53 View Post
It seems hard to grow Ae'ae banana.Here in Hawaii I also had a problem keeping one alive.It started out great in the ground and then got something like leaf tip burn and the whole leaves were turning brown until I figured out something was wrong. I took it out and examine the corm. It had significant weevil damage in the form of black tunnels running through the corm.Maybe 1/2 inch or bigger around.I carved and dug out each tunnel until I saw white flesh again.Prior to that I removed all roots.I just basically shaved the corm until it was totally white with the exception of the weevil damage.After that i soaked it in 10% bleach water that was 130 degrees for 30 minutes.Sometimes I just do the hot water soak. I let that corm dry out overnight and replanted the next day.I have heard this plant likes acidic soil so I don't add my usual dolomite lime to the planting hole.
I don’t believe I have weevil damage, I guess just transplant shock. The leaves do seem sensitive to sun damage after a while, I don’t think it would be as noticeable if it were shooting out a new leaf once a week like they’re supposed to.

It did just shoot out a new leaf yesterday but it’s smaller than the previous two IMG_5685.jpeg
Robbertico18 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Robbertico18
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors