View Single Post
Old 06-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
drone
BANANS

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 8,680
Said "Thanks" 19 Times
Was Thanked 68 Times in 43 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdoofus View Post
I haven't grown those varieties or grown plants from bare corms, so I may not be the right person to answer this, however, I would be most concerned about rot. Frequent watering + high temps + lack of roots + lack of leaves to transpire moisture = good conditions for fungal growth and rot. I have learned the hard way here that bananas without leaves are extremely sensitive/prone to rot from too much moisture.

So when I see pics of leafless bananas looking like your ice cream, my first thought is always rot. It certainly may be something else, but the first thing I would do is make sure your medium is appropriate.

If it were me, and I am most definitely no expert, I would gently extract the corm from the medium and have a look at it to make sure there is healthy new root growth. If all looks good down below, then maybe it is something else.

I personally would also consider moving it to a spot that isn't so hot during the day.
I took your advice and checked the roots! Thankfully I planted in a clear pot, you can see roots appearing on the outer side of the pot. so hopefully this is a good sign! the photo is attached. This is occurring all across the pot.

I've circled one example. My phone hasn't got a great image quality but there are roots there!

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: png roots.png (1.13 MB, 10 views)
drone is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To drone
Said thanks: