View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
oblivion

BananaBucks : 1,773
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default first time grower, in south Oz

hi all, ive just ordered my first two plants which are currently in the mail.

I've got a pair of super dwarf 'nathan' variety, apparently a cavendish i believe.
purchased from daleys fruit tree nursery in NSW.

i've been growing carnivore plants for many years (fly traps, pitcher plants, sticky sundews) and if you let the peat/sand mix dry out they die as they must be kept moist at all times, so hopefully i'll have some luck with banana's.

a few mths back i purchased a couple of coffee bush's but they didnt live more than a month. i think i didnt sun harden them enough as the sun is a lot hotter here in SA compared to northern rivers NSW where daleys nursery is.
when i realised what was involved vs how much yield i get (per cup) it was probably for the better anyway.

my plan is (hopefully) they grow long enough to give me pups which i'd like to raise also in case a mother plant dies while im learning, and to possibly share around with others.

Im thinking ill put them against a fence so they get direct sun for most of the day but are shielded from the hot afternoon sun as we're currently in summer.

not sure if i should maybe raise on indoors, but light might be a problem unless i use the small LED grow light i have on young carnivore plants.
oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To oblivion
Said thanks:
The following 10 users say welcome oblivion to Bananas.org!
all43 (12-07-2022), beam2050 (12-07-2022), cincinnana (12-07-2022), crazy banana (01-04-2023), Iowa (12-08-2022), Janelle525 (12-07-2022), kubali (03-28-2023), longranger (12-07-2022), MediaHound (04-11-2023), PR-Giants (12-11-2022)

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors