View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
michaeladler

Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Fhia-2 and FHIA-17, FHIA,23

Replying to your 13 year old post. I'd like to hear an update on if you tried them and how they did. I also have sigatoka. I've had a FHIA 2 Mona Lisa for a few years. I bought it from a nursery that looked like it had various infections in all the plants, so I cut it way back and scraped down the corm and treated it with lots of things to make sure I didn't bring in anything, and had it in a pot for a while. Anyway, it got started from a very small plant and is in a spot that doesn't get a lot of direct sun. It does not appear close to fruiting yet, but seems healthy. It is not displaying much impact from the sigatoka. It is taking a long time to fruit, but that may be because of the conditions.

I'm interested in trying a 23 and finding out if it is resistant to sigatoka. I guess the name means someone thought it tasted similar to the original Gros Michel? I don't think anyone is growing that one any more.

replying to other suggestions: I have tried SH 3640 and they are good. They are a big thick banana and good producer. However, I read that they are not resistant to sigatoka, so I have not planted any.

I tried to grow dwarf namwa. They are a wonderful banana but would not grow in my yard. Their baby fruits are just destroyed by sigatoka.
michaeladler is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To michaeladler
Said thanks: