View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
damaclese
Living in Exile

Zone: 9 Mediterranean climate
Name: Paulo
BananaBucks : 283,967
Said "Thanks" 1,352 Times
Was Thanked 1,620 Times in 706 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 101 Times
Default Re: white bird of Paradise alive or dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazieman View Post
i have a white bird that i planted last march 07 and it was over wintered outside in ground in Seattle (in city) wa. zone 8b i had protected it every cold spell ( a tarp and bath towels wrapped around the base, it is 4 ft tall hard to cover but is planted next to a 8 ft fence that helped build a canopy), but i got lazy in Jan and didn't remove a blue tarp that covered it and it was wrapped with a towel and big bulb Christmas lights that were turned on every night from 8pm to 5am, honestly i think i cooked it. it had little burn marks on the leaf stems where the bulbs touched. i left it covered with the light routine for 4-5 weeks maybe more? i didn't even check on it. the night temps were not even freezing we had a pretty mild winter this year and i only member having to scrape my car windshield 3-4 times.... odd. snow 3 times for less than 24 hrs. anyways when i went to check on it one night it was really hot under the tarp and i realized the leafs were starting to turn brown, i uncovered it and have left it alone since. i think it really missed the sun light, the leafs kept turning brown for a few weeks and then stopped, now they are only streaked with green on the 2 biggest ones (the smaller ones died down throught the stems, but the other leaf stems are still green. any chance it will throw a new leaf this spring or will it grow a new pup or regenerate from the rhizome? any guesses?? or is this one doomed and i zone pushed too hard? or was it the light and cooking?
is it the tropical kind or is it the native desired bird of Paradise? if its the desired kind i think it will come back they are very tough

damaclese is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To damaclese