View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cazieman

BananaBucks : 18,293
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Red face white bird of paridise alive or dead?

i have a white bird that i planted last march 07 and it was over wintered outside in ground in seattle (in city) wa. zone 8b i had protected it every cold spell ( a tarp and bath towels wrapped around the base, it is 4 ft tall hard to cover but is planted next to a 8 ft fence that helped buildf a canopy), but i got lazy in jan and didnt remove a blue tarp that covered it and it was wraped with a towel and big bulb christmas lights that were turned on every night from 8pm to 5am, honestally i think i cooked it. it had little burn marks on the leaf stems where the bulbs touched. i left it covered with the light routine for 4-5 weeks maybe more? i didnt even check on it. the night temps were not even frezing we had a pretty mild winter this year and i only member having to scrape my car windshield 3-4 times.... odd. snow 3 times for less than 24 hrs. anyways when i went to check on it one night it was really hot under the tarp and i realized the leafs were starting to turn brown, i uncovered it and have left it alone since. i think it really missed the sun light, the leafs kept turning brown for a few weeks and then stopped, now they are only streaked with green on the 2 biggest ones (the smaller ones died down throught the stems, but the other leaf stems are still green. any chance it will throw a new leaf this spring or will it grow a new pup or regenerate from the rhyzome? any guesses?? or is this one doomed and i zone pushed too hard? or was it the light and cooking?
Cazieman is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Cazieman

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors