View Single Post
Old 06-11-2022, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
texasmusa

BananaBucks : 8,223
Said "Thanks" 30 Times
Was Thanked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Musa Ae Ae splitting at the stem

6/11 Less than 48 hours of introducing additional sunlight, a new leaf is emerging. The remaining stressed leaf is producing a more vibrant green, it is no longer folding over on itself, and the white markings closest to the stem are noticeably brighter. The pink vein is now pink instead of brown, a complete change from just days ago.

I was going to upgrade to TS1000W but will keep the 600W until the baby leaf matures. I wish I had done this sooner. To anyone who may be interested, this is what she was months ago when I first brought her inside. Pic

6/12. With a gentle nudge, the entire plant collapsed. For study purposes I took cross sections. Note: It smells like banana even when cutting the leaves!! So cute.

Issue from weeks ago, the dead leaf. For anyone who may be curious, if the new growth is dead like this and doesn't push out another... CHOP THE PLANT! Musa Aeae do NOT grow like philodendrons, pothos, or anthuriums or even lillies!! They cannot push out a new leaf under/aside the dead one, it means the vein within the plant is dead and the death will spread. It almost killed the new growth, I understand now what others meant by a "choke". (Pic dead new growth)

Cross section (image). Out of order so we'll refer to them as A, B, and C. C is the bottom section of the top leaf. As you may notice, the exterior leaves are healthy but there is no growth in the middle where the 'new' dead leaf was. Its solidly dead. A is the middle piece of rot taken from the midsection of the stem. The rot traveled all the way down to the base and started spreading outwards. Last, but not least, section B. The mushy black core could have reached the bulb, and all would have been lost. If you have a choke and are afraid of cutting your expensive plant, don't be. You must cut it at the choke.

A small refresh of ~1/4th cup water after insect soap spray. A little gleam of hope. Beautiful variegation already pushing through. Pic 1, Pic 2

If it wasn't so expensive it would be alright, but I am a little distraught. From research, it takes about ~6 months to regrow to its originally purchased height. I will update further when I introduce the 1000W light.

6/13.

(Pic)
Very healthy. Last photo of her in 600W light. The 1000W light has dimming options, so I'm keeping it. It is currently on the maximum output to determine if it burns the leaves. Barbaric, but necessary. Strong, white roots are coming out of the bottom of the planter. Bottom watered 2 cups, (the top 2" of soil was already dry). No fertilizer. 600W highest temp 88-92F, 66% humidity.

6/14. Pic 1, Pic 2.
18cm. The 1000W doesn't get as hot, max temp was 88F. 66% humidity. Watering only at night going forward, it seems to grow at night. 1/4th cup sprinkling over the leaves.

6/15. Pic 1
21 cm. Loving the 1000W light at max. Temps increased to 93F, 58% humidity. 0 water.

Growing a Variegated Musa AeAe indoors, here's my trial and error journal. Any advice is welcome!!

Last edited by texasmusa : 06-15-2022 at 09:09 PM.
texasmusa is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To texasmusa
Said thanks: