View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 05:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
smeash

Zone: 9a
BananaBucks : 21,224
Said "Thanks" 385 Times
Was Thanked 872 Times in 443 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 67 Times
Default Re: Hello everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauf.aliyev1980 View Post
Thank you all guys! Доброе утро :03
I’m the first one, I think, from my country in this forum. I’m not growing any bananas yet ( hope will change it soon). Nobody grow edible bananas in zone 8b-9a, nobody knows, as I know, that it’s possible. Only I knew that some have small non edible banana plants, which dyed in winter when subfreezing temperatures come and regrow in spring. Till last year I was sure, that bananas can be grown only in tropical climate, occasionally read recently about Blue Java is cold tolerant for zone 8 and started to explore the topic-) Now I’m looking for some hardy bananas. If the cold hardiness list, given here, is right, next year I will eat bananas from my orchard
Hi, I also grow in zone 9a.. but there are members here that fruit plants in 8b and maybe colder zones. It can be done! The key is the push your plants with fertilizer during the growing months, and protect the stem by wrapping them during the cold months so they start growing from the same point in the spring. If you can do that, you should be a ble to grow your own bananas. I would recommend the namwah variety, and maybe a short cycle such as viente cohol. Good luck to you!
smeash is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To smeash
Said thanks: