View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 06:36 AM   #41 (permalink)
Zalin124

Zone: 8
Name: Zach
BananaBucks : 4,233
Said "Thanks" 50 Times
Was Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Mekong Giant vs Basjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarkie View Post
I'm almost positive the location is the answer. They get varying sun, but the ground is good from years of Pampas grass and "dog dirt" in there, and all of the understory keeps the ground shaded and cooler; like a jungle. The ones on the other side of the driveway aren't more than five feet tall or so. They're in more sun with regular clay soil, and nothing to keep their feet cool. I'll be pulling them out anyway for more palms and yuccas.

What I have are pretty impressive; I was just thinking if I could get twice the height, it would look a little more exotic. Maybe I should just keep what I have and rip out all of the running blackberries that took it over and literally turned it into an impenetrable jungle and thin them out, as they have gotten quite dense; kinda like my ex wife.
Iíve been thinning my stuff out and it really helps the landscape. The MG are beautiful though. Much more beautiful than Basjoo in my opinion. Pstem is multicolored and the undersides of the leaves are maroon all summer long. It might be all of the shade that it gets! Your Basjoo mat looks great too! Ty is right about the size of them. Iím Glad he chimed in!