View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
drone
BANANS

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 8,666
Said "Thanks" 19 Times
Was Thanked 68 Times in 43 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default can fusarium oxysproum panama disease (tr1-4) spread via banana fruit skin?

Hi,
i fertilize organically with the skin of the banana fruit. i usw other stuff but these skins are full of potassium which I need as an organic gardener. but it just occurred to me that these bananas are coming from plantations across the world with god knows how many pests and diseases. w
can Panama disease of Fusarium oxysporum spread via the skin of a banana fruit? as it's now all across the world.
if so I'm am screwed as I'm growing varieties such as gross Michel which are vulnerable to been basic strains of the Panama disease (tr1)
i know it can spread through soil and infected material but does the fruit skin of the banana have that?
i know that fruit doesn't normally develop however, what if a plant has fruited and is just about to be harvested and only then develops symptoms? surely its a risk using banans skins if it can transmit this banana 'cancer'. even other diseases also e.g black sigatoka. can they spread via the skin?

let me know what you think as I'm scared I've killed my banana collection
thanks
drone is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To drone
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors