View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,960
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: Help, what signals are my plants sending me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdoofus View Post
Thank you so much you two. Very much appreciated. I will continue moving them in and out for now.

I will consider changing the potting medium in the next couple of weeks if I get the chance...If I am feeling ambitious

And just to clarify Cinc, you think it would be worth removing the pups at this point? If so, should I remove all of them, just the ones with leaves, one from each plant, etc.?

Last couple of nights have been down to 38F ish (3-4C), at least for a short while (6AM or therabouts when I get up), definitely a bit cooler than normal for this time of year, otherwise low - mid 40'sF (5-8C).

The garage stays around 60F (15C) overnight and the greenhouse gets pretty darn warm during the day.

Again, thank you very, very much for the advice, I really appreciate the assistance!!

At first the dry brown edges of the leaves looks like over watering, but looking again I also see indications of over-heating or heat burns. .... Over watering & heat stress burns.

My recommendations:

1) Just leave the plants outside (not in the greenhouse) day & night. Temps in the upper 30s & low 40s or a light frost will not hurt Orinoco nanas. They are cold hardy to 28 deg. ..... My Orinoco actually grew new leaves when winter temps were in the low to mid 60s and the pstems are surviving short freezes down to 26 degs.

2) If you keep using the greenhouse, then you need to ventilate it to keep the inside temps down. The greenhouse will gain 40 plus degrees above outside ambient temps. So I'm fairly certain the greenhouse temps are over 100 deg during the day. This is causing the secondary burning to the leaves. .... Use a fan to pull outside air into the greenhouse.

3) Get and use a long stem moisture meter. Check the pot moisture at the middle and bottom of the pot and then give water if the soil is near dry.

Last edited by edwmax : 05-12-2021 at 08:05 AM.
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Said thanks: