View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
sirdoofus

Zone: AgCan 7b, USDA 6b
Name: Mike
BananaBucks : 19,114
Said "Thanks" 3,173 Times
Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 610 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 98 Times
Default Help, what signals are my plants sending me?

So I am sooooo not objective when it comes to evaluating what is going on with these 2 Dwarf orinoco plants that I am beseeching all of you experienced folks to help be my objective interpreters with regard to what signals they are sending me.

Ignore the small plants in the background.

Both of these plants were overwintered in my garage. I think I might have over watered one of them to some degree. They are both growing, but of course slowly at this point, and with a few caveats.

I haven't deeply watered either plant for months, with the exception of a surface watering (small amount of water that wouldn't go much beyond the surface roots) on the healthier looking of the two.

Here are two pics of the top leaves of both plants. In the forground with one leaf is the smaller of the two. These leaves essentially have not changed in appearance since I brought them outside weeks ago

You'll notice the cigar leaf emerging from this one, which of course is as good sign. What you don't see is the dead tip portion I cut off it before taking the pic - about 2-3 inches or so.

The following pic is of the more vigorous of the two. But you can kind of see from the pics, some of the new leaves emerge and then start turning brown and drying fairly quickly.....and some of them don't. The big pup on the right seems to be having the most trouble. The little pups with the good sized leaves on the left have recently started turning brown at the tips, but it has taken awhile.

And here is a closeup of the pup having trouble. Ignore the leaf on the right edge of the pic and the leaves on the background, different plants.

The following is of the less vigorous plant. This one is definitely stumping me. The large diameter pup remnant on the left is growing, but it has seemed to stall out over the last 2 weeks or so. Its still green, but not moving much. The little pup closest to the camera is guttating like crazy. I don't know if you can see it by zooming, but there is a constant wet spot around its base because of this. It is the only part of the plant to do this. The smaller leaf on this pup is a bit off color, grayish-green, but otherwise looks OK. And the biggest of the leaves in the pic on the pup to the right, as you might be able to tell, seems to be browning up a bit and drying.

And a closer version of the above pic.

So I have been moving these plants into the greenhouse during the day and into the garage at night. My plan has kind of been continue with that routine until nighttime temps are high enough to put them into the ground and hope for the best.

However, like I said, I am having a very hard time being objective here, and given my inexperience with them, I am hoping all of you folks with more experience might help me interpret what is happening and determine the best course of action.

I am sure I have left out some pertinent information, apologies and thank you very much for taking the time to read through this.

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors