View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
75north

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 13,293
Said "Thanks" 204 Times
Was Thanked 278 Times in 100 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Fruiting Bananas in North Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylwill View Post
What about:
“Dwarf Brazilian” Musa Banana
“Dwarf Orinoco” Musa Banana
“Dwarf Red” Musa Banana

Thank you people.
I'm not familiar with Dwarf Red so I can't comment unfortunately.

Dwarf Brazilian is about as cold tolerant as Dwarf Namwah for me, that is to say the leaves are fine well down into the mid-lower 30s and the pseudostem will survive even colder temps. They can be anywhere from about 6 to 12' of pseudostem height though, so they might get too big.

Orinocos are known for being the most cold hardy of the common edible varieties. Some people aren't thrilled with the fruit but if you really want to grow your own bananas it's probably where you want to start.

If you're able to bring them into a room that doesn't get below 48 degrees for winter, you'll be fine with any of dwarf Namwah, Brazilian, or Orinoco. The bigger problem you'll probably run into is getting them in pots that are both big enough that the plants will have room to grow yet are also of a manageable size for when you need to move them. The pots will need to be quite large if you want to get fruit out of these types, though other members here have far more experience than me at container growing.
75north is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To 75north
Said thanks: