View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
zfallon84

Zone: 9a
Name: Zach
BananaBucks : 27,943
Said "Thanks" 440 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Please Help me Identify this "Ice Cream"

So, I figured these were Namwah and got a real Blue Java from a fellow member. However, I still can't ID this thing. I've been using the Crop Diversity's accession listing, and USDATARS catalogs. I don't know how many hours I've spent comparing.

~9ft pstem with blueish tinted, light green bananas. There is some dark green-blue on each fruit's tip and petiol. Some immature fruits are 3-sided, and some are 4-sided. The rack is about a month old. 5 full hands, with one underdeveloped. The hands attach to the peduncle with a pad, unlike bluggoes/ney mannan that attach with a knuckle. The leaves have that mauve line along the margin.

This is from TC. So, I think it might be bigger as it establishes. It has also been through 3 nights of frost with the trunk (6ft at the time) wrapped with frost cloth.

My estimates:

Cacambou (bluggoe type)
Namwah (Fougamou 1)
"Ice Cream" (CIRAD's listing)
Maybe a leaned-out, undeveloped Cardaba?

I though USDA's Dole. However the flowers were different colors.

I'll add more as time goes on.

Last edited by zfallon84 : 08-25-2020 at 08:48 AM.
zfallon84 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To zfallon84

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors