View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zombie Dave

BananaBucks : 20,656
Said "Thanks" 69 Times
Was Thanked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: I failed again at Wintering. Anyone from Kansas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwmax View Post
We need more info about the growing & winter conditions of the potted plant to help you. ... size & height of the plant??? ... how & where stored??? ...

Since you wraped the plant with bubble wrap I assume the plant was leaf outside (???) as there would be no real reason to wrap the plant if brought inside.

Plastic wrapped around the nana pstem will trap moisture and promote fungus. This can travel down the pstem into the corm to form root rot. ... If you stored the potted plant in an unheated garage it would have gone dormant. The pstem may die back some or all the way to the soil. But the corn would survive if it IS NOT watered during the winter. ... So I suspect much of your problem was cause by the plastic and failure to vent or un-wrap the plant during warmer days/temps to allow the plant to breath.

Root rot is a fungus that will draw water from the corm. So the potting soil may feel or be dry but the exterior of the corm & soil around the corm is soggy wet. Nanas in containers, it would be a go time to repot & inspect the corms for rot when the pstam dies and repot in fresh potting soil.

I'm in south Georgia I buit a small green house in which to store small potted nanas during the winter. ... Others on the fourm move their potted plant next to the garage or house and cover with plastic during the freezing temps. ... Just be aware that during the daytime the temperatures under the plastic can be 50 deg higher than the outside temps. The plants must be vented & cooled when the outside temps are 40 deg & above. ... A simple lean-against a garage covered with 6 mil poly would be easy to build to store your potted plants.
You're spot on. Oddly enough the potted plant was a corm left over fron the previous year that early in the season didn't do much and I thought had died.

The plants planted in the ground were wrapped with bubble wrap and left alone until they wilted over. I didn't realize that on warm days I needed to unwrap them. That makes total sense though.

Thank you!
Zombie Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Zombie Dave
Said thanks: