View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
edge

BananaBucks : 4,168
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Will this work/ am I crazy?

I am in Zone 7

I would like a privacy screen near patio/pool of multi height Banana plants.
The tallest need to be AT LEAST 8 feet by mid June ( LEAF HEIGHT ).
I would like the pstems to max out 6-12 feet+-.

Generally, last freeze is the second week of April, and I put my tomatoes in the last week or the first of May.
We are not reliably into 60 degree night temps until that end of May, day temps can be 80+ almost all of May with a few cooler overcast days.

My thought is to use a cold hardy plants.
Winter over some in ground, and others dug after they die back and kept around 50 degrees in the dark. ( cold garage in boxes with heat tape )

THEN, at the appropriate time, remove from hibernation, pot them, bring into the house 70+ degrees to get them a head start over the in-ground plants.

I may dig pups prior to first frost early November, and keep alive in house containers.

So, is this reasonable to expect success, or more trouble than it is worth?

Thanks in advance for suggestions on viability, best cultivars, and any procedures, edge.

PS Since I would like to try this for next summer, when should I order plants this fall/winter to get reasonably sized plants?
edge is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edge
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors