View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
SoFloBanana

Zone: 10a
Name: Aaron
BananaBucks : 16,887
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 56 Times in 22 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: My First Banana Plant! Alleged Ice Cream Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSkunk View Post
I am in the same boat same cultivar. So we shall see. Aside from the fruit being deciding factor in the authenticity of the plant are there any things specific to this plant that sets it apart that you have learned?
If by "sets it apart" you mean characteristics specific to this cultivar, then I'd say the blue fruit coloration is pretty specific to the Blue Java (I think only before it ripens). Besides the fruit, the flower may be the key. Other people on this forum are excellent at identifying cultivars based on the flowers but I'm clueless in that department. Before flowering, I don't think there's any good way to identify whether it's a blue java, a tall namwah, or other cultivar.

In terms of what sets the Blue Java apart from other bananas, I can only parrot what I've read about a supposedly very good taste with vanilla notes and a creamy texture. I've never had one myself.

I haven't learned anything in particular about the Blue Java (or whatever I actually have) from growing it so far but it's only been about 8 months since I transplanted it into the ground.

This recent thread has some food for thought regarding the Blue Java: Musa Ice Cream Blue Java grow and taste report

Here's the forum search results for "blue java." There are plenty of identification threads if that's what you're looking for.
SoFloBanana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SoFloBanana
Said thanks: