View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
sputinc7

Zone: 9b
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 101,668
Said "Thanks" 352 Times
Was Thanked 2,430 Times in 971 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 295 Times
Default Re: Wind Chill is Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruzinsky View Post
Most people, especially women, sacrifice comfort for fashion. In the 1950s, girls in Chicago wore dresses, even at zero deg. F.. It was unusual to see girls in pants, even jeans. Also, earmuffs without other headgear were popular for boys and girls.

I walk over 30 miles/week for exercise in all kinds of weather and I regard myself an expert on practical attire for cold weather. The best head gear is a $3 ski mask. One ski mask is comfortable when the temperature is 15 to 32 deg. F. and two ski masks (two layers) are comfortable -10 to 15 deg. F.. And, when I go inside a store, I can store the ski masks in my coat pocket. The wind doesn't matter much except, when windy, it is slightly better to wear sun glasses to protect the eyes. For leg gear, I wear polyester sweat pants under regular pants. This is comfortable from -10 to 32 deg. F.. For the torso, I wear three layers. A tee shirt, a polyester sweat shirt, and a medium thickness coat that is much thinner than most people's coats. This is comfortable from -10 to 32 deg. F.. For hands, I just wear $6 plastic gloves. My footwear consists of one layer of cotton socks and $20 Dr. Scholl's sneakers with velcro straps from Walmart. I'm surprised that my feet never get cold, I can't explain it. But, if inadequate, the obvious thing to do is wear two layers of socks.

The point is that my attire in cold weather is unfashionable but absolutely comfortable. And, I am much more comfortable in the Winter than in the Summer.
The amount and type of clothing differs for each person as well as each activity. If you are running, it is no surprise your feet stay warm. If someone was wearing that getup holding a sign for road construction, their feet would be cold. BTW, a second set of socks cuts off circulation and makes feet colder. LOOSE fitting clothes are best and in layers like you said. I used to work outside near Peoria, Il. I found hoodies and a stocking hat to be great in even the coldest weather. T shirt, Flannel shirt an a hoodie worked for me in even the coldest weather, but I am a cold hearty one. My wife would freeze in that in the same weather. As for gloves, get yourself to dollar tree and get the brown cotton jersey gloves.. thank me later.

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

Varieties I supposedly bought: Manzano, Cavendish, Blue Java, Sweetheart, and Gros Michel.
What it seems I actually have: Brazilian, Cavendish, Namwah, Dwarf Red, Gros Michel, Pisang Ceylon, Veinte Cohol and SH 3640, and American Goldfinger. FHIA 1, Paggi and FHIA 17... Always room for one more.
sputinc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sputinc7
Said thanks: