View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Denverian

Zone: 6
BananaBucks : 4,041
Said "Thanks" 11 Times
Was Thanked 124 Times in 63 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: When to winterize Basjoo bananas

I'm in Denver and have tried Basjoos in the past. I got one to come back from the ground after one winter, but it never got more than a couple feet high. I also tried bringing the stalk in to overwinter in my basement, and it died.

Last year, I couldn't find Basjoos at the nursery where I'd purchased them before, but they had a rather large, red banana of some sort (the type that eventually get the big, black flower) for only $40 and it went crazy this past summer. The stalk is at least a foot wide at the base, and it was around 10' to the tip of the leaves, and very beautiful.

So we bought a small greenhouse last winter and in October, I cut the leaves off the stalk and put it in a big pot, and it's been in there doing fine through the winter. My only concern is that with the huge, heavy stalk, I may not be able to get it back in a pot next fall. But I should have an amazing banana tree this summer! (it was so eye-catching that people would stop in their cars to ask me what it was or how I grew it in Denver lol!)
Denverian is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Denverian
Said thanks:
Sponsors