View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
co_tranh2006

BananaBucks : 3,914
Said "Thanks" 10 Times
Was Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: How to kill fungus and bacteria on seed before germination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
Why are you trying to sterilize the seeds, and how do you know they are infected? It's more important to have good clean sprouting medium, but it doesn't need to be sterile. I would be worried about killing the embryo with any treatment, unless you are performing embryo rescue culture, but that is a totally different thing from just planting seeds.

I just plant seeds directly in pure coconut coir with typically good results if the seeds are fresh. Dry seed can be harder to germinate, typically taking longer and with lower germ rates, but I treat them the same.

I typically start them in communal pots, maybe 20-50 seeds, and when they germinate I separate them out and up pot them individually.

Many thank about your opinion, exactly as you say, I am using dry seed with some months store.
We germinated them with pure coconut but germination rate is very low and we spent more month to have resulted. Fresh seeds had a higher rate a little but it is still a low rate.
After, we changed another method: sterilize as said at first threat, then cut seeds and sow them in agar medium. And after a short time, a big amount seed was covered by white fungi, I think it is fungi. Some seeds sample we tried with a higher concentration and longer time to soak, those seeds did not contract fungi but they also germinated.
I am looking for another method of killing fungus and also bacteria but must ensure good germination rate.

Can you share for me some opinions?
co_tranh2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To co_tranh2006