View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #245 (permalink)
Akula

Zone: Zone 9a
BananaBucks : 70,459
Said "Thanks" 2,540 Times
Was Thanked 2,381 Times in 809 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 128 Times
Default Re: An Update Of My Latest Nana Plants 2018!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanana View Post
HMelendez, I haven't read the entire thread but the last page 5 and page 1. I'm still confused how these plants will grow in 100% pool silica sand. Are you supplying all of the nutrients via liquid? Doesn't that get expensive? Also in post #31 there are some bananas showing the rootballs and it looks like normal soil, not the white silica sand I see your bananas that are in the pots in the same post. If you could clarify, that would help greatly.
Yeah, this was perplexing to me too! Everything I have read and/or instructions emphasize organic content of soil and then Hector shows up with beautuful, healthy, full size plants grown in pool filter sand!!

I guess the pool filter sand allows the roots to branch out faster in addition to allowing water to drain better to counteract the large volume of rainfall we get in Florida. I have noticed some of my plants in soil with high organic content have "floated" up over the season due to soil saturation which makes them vulnerable to toppling by wind.

I wonder if Hector's technique works in soil that is highly acidic or salty i.e. main corn planted in a hole of his mix but with surrouding soil highly acidic or salty?
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Akula
Said thanks:
Sponsors