View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #243 (permalink)
HMelendez
The Banana Gang Enforcer

Zone: 10B-11
BananaBucks : 193,046
Said "Thanks" 11,104 Times
Was Thanked 5,278 Times in 1,618 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 737 Times
Default Re: An Update Of My Latest Nana Plants 2018!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanana View Post
HMelendez, I haven't read the entire thread but the last page 5 and page 1. I'm still confused how these plants will grow in 100% pool silica sand. Are you supplying all of the nutrients via liquid? Doesn't that get expensive? Also in post #31 there are some bananas showing the rootballs and it looks like normal soil, not the white silica sand I see your bananas that are in the pots in the same post. If you could clarify, that would help greatly.

Kanana,

Thanks for seeing, following the thread!.....This is from post #202 and #203 of the thread!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
What's the difference between pool silica sand and the white sugar sand thats all over S. Florida's coasts? My sister has a house in W. Palm Beach and her backyard seems like its primarily composed of what people from around here would call "beach sand".

Also I was instructed that banana plants favor soil that is high in organic matter and amended my soil accordingly. Obviously you are a successful grower and your technique works but how to reconcile?

Thanks!

*****My reply/response*****

Donald,

From post #193 of the thread......."That is pool filter silica coarse sand!......The soilless medium that I used for Nanas in pots or in the ground!....Has a bigger grit than normal/regular sand!....Keywords DRAINAGE and AERATION!".......

Very simple!.....I frequently keep amending/adding nutrients to the top soil of my Nana mats!.....Biochar (crushed wood charcoal), coffee grounds, egg shells, vegetable/fruits peelings, Nana leaves or pieces from prior harvested Nanas, etc.....

I first tried pool filter silica coarse sand with the Beautiful, Royal and Majestic AEAE and it did worked!......Trust me, AEAE is one of the toughest Nana Varieties to grow and see it flowering, blooming!.......If it works for the AEAE, it should work for most Nana Varieties!......Right now, I'm using pool filter silica coarse sand with all my Nanas!.....Beautiful, Royal And Majestic 'Ae Ae' Is Flowering!

Also, in reply to the post #31, it looks like normal soil, but trust me, it isn’t!.....It is a soilless medium/mix!.......A mix of sphagnum peat moss, perlite and pool filter silica coarse sand!....