View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #28 (permalink)
SoCal2warm

BananaBucks : 15,670
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 64 Times in 33 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Anyone tried Pisang Ceylon

south of Irvine, California, solid zone 10 (between 10a and 10b)

I had two of them. One was a tiny little pup (maybe 11 inches), the other was a 2 feet tall one that had two-thirds of its top leaf cut off. The small pup didn't make it over the first Winter but the larger one survived. After the winter it was moved from a large container into the ground and slowly grew. It doesn't seem to be the most vigorous growing, and the tips of the fronds got burnt in the sun, but it looked okay. It survived the next Winter and came out of it with only some slight wilting. By that time there were two small stalks with a total of five fronds. It didn't really look the most lush green, but it didn't look too bad either. It continued to slowly grow and survived the Winter after that too (which would be this last Winter, 2017-2018 ). It is now 6 feet high, the two stalks are thickening, and it sent up a small baby pup. Looks a bit more lush and green now than it did last year, even though there was a really hot heat wave over the Summer (it was kept well watered).

I've seen other bananas that have grown faster, grew with more vigor and looked better, but this has survived so far.

I'm always thinking about the remote possibility that maybe what I was sent wasn't actually really the correct variety, but I've tried to look carefully and all the details look consistent with other pictures of Pisang Ceylon I've looked at.

About 15 miles away from the coast, and the spot does get mostly full sun, so the sun and intense Summer heat can be difficult. (I'd say the climate is about halfway between coastal influence and desert)

A picture from last year can be found here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/47...owing-in-socal

Last edited by SoCal2warm : 10-21-2018 at 04:58 PM.
SoCal2warm is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SoCal2warm