View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,756
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: I'm new to growing banana plants, what say you about these two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputinc7 View Post
Ed.. Why not compost? Homade compost is a wonderful mulch with the added benefit of fertilizer built in. (If you are referring to the bagged kind from walmart, I agree.)
I usually use my homade stuff before composting is complete so it's like mostly composted grass clippings, etc.

It depends on what it is made with and how. Not all compost is the same. ... Compost can pack down to a dense layer; may hold too much water choking (air) the banana roots at the ground surface; and may still have active decomposition which can attract bugs. For use as a fertilizer, much of the nutrients will leach off during the 8 to 12 months it takes to make, unless you have a collection system for the 'tea'. So use as a fertilizer could be questionable as one doesn't know what the final NPK values are.

However, for the above use around the banana plant, I have no problem with some compost being spread and then covered with a thick layer of straw or grass clippings. ... The idea was to get a thick airy blanket over the ground to keep the soil cool from the sun.