View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
ChocoTaco369

Zone: 8A
BananaBucks : 8,182
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 65 Times in 14 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: The North Carolina Banana Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaczercat View Post
A bigger pot might have prolonged what is starting to happen now. Just a thought. For such a small pot it's in great shape, well done. I know it's colder up here over winter but that is scary we have a very similar first frost date. Usually end of Oct early Nov in the greater Toronto area.

It's a dwarf something for sure. it it doesn't look abnormally stunted. Enjoy the bloom when it comes and see how far it gets by mid to late Nov. One of mine shot up a flag leaf on Aug 16 and just takin' it day by day.
Fish emulsion and potash crystals with a handful of 5-5-5 applied every other week in the warm season, nothing but small amounts of water in the cold season. I don't know all that much about bananas, but I have a lot of vegetable gardening experience. To me, this is just a giant tomato with a preference for more potash and less potassium. Treat it the same. Feed and prune it regularly, give it the sunniest spot possible and let it go.

I don't understand how we can have similar frost dates. I would imagine our zones are nothing alike. The problem with my area is the average temperatures are very mild, but the extreme minimums are ridiculous. Our coldest average low is only 35F, but our absolute minimum is usually around 13F. Deduct 2-3 nights a year and this place would be a 9a. We are 2 Arctic jets away from a radical landscaping change. I think we only average about 40 days where it touches freezing or lower a year.
ChocoTaco369 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ChocoTaco369
Said thanks: