View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #2438 (permalink)
aruzinsky

Zone: 6a (10 miles east of 5b)
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 160,568
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 784 Times in 316 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: What is blooming in your garden today (other plants)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmurphy View Post
As an experiment, last summer I planted amaryllis in my covered garden - I got them for Christmas and am not really into this type of plant (until now). I figured the bulbs would live or die after the summer so it would be no big deal if they did not survive.

FYI, my covered garden is 16' x 8' x 9'; it keeps things dry but inside temp is the same as the other side temp.

We had a nasty winter (for us) with a lot of wet snow and some minus temperatures so image my surprise when I noticed the bulbs growing this spring. Then I noticed a bud forming on one.
This is the result.......

Proof that amaryllis are hardy in zone 8 if kept dry.
I have a "Slumdog Millionaire" type story about how I discovered amaryllis. You know how people sometimes ask people of my age, "What were you doing when you first heard that John F. Kennedy was assassinated?"? At age 17, I must have been in high school but I have absolutely no memory of hearing about the assassination. But, the next day, on Saturday, November 23, 1963, I was with my friend shopping in downtown Chicago when I came upon the store front of Vaughan's Seed and Bulb. Co. which had a big display of potted blooming amaryllis. I also remember my friend telling me that his father cried about the assassination. Still, it was business as usual downtown.
aruzinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To aruzinsky
Said thanks: