View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 11:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Em

BananaBucks : 292
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Banana Circle Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Something with foresight for ease of maintenance.
Thank you for the elaboration, though I'm still not certain I fully understand.
I saw your picture that followed indicating that diminishing root zone equates to higher maintenance. Can you explain why?

I suppose it comes down to what you look at as maintenance.
Granted in the circle that we are discussing in this thread, perhaps there will be some tricky to reach plants in the inside of the circle, at a later date.

The only regular input I can think of to bananas is water - assuming they have sufficient mulch and fertile soil for food.
A circle provides one location to mulch and water.
Once the mulch pit is filled, it is easy to add to it, though that would not be very often.
And if water is provided via a grey water overflow and/or rainwater overflow from the roof, there should be no hand-watering necessary, in part as the mulch retains the moisture.

To me this amounts to almost no maintenance.
Please though, if I am misunderstanding something, feel free to elaborate further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruzinsky View Post
No, because there are diminishing returns of fun as more banana circles are planted. Mathematically, fun increases monotonically with a monotonically decreasing derivative (or, since the number of banana circles, N, is discrete, difference)...
Haha
Though I believe you might be missing the possibility that the addition of multiple circles, all in a gravity-fed self-watering alignment, once implemented, can provide ever increasing abundance and joy (ok, the abundance would level out over time), while only requiring a linear input of extra mulch per circle (and a little guidance of pups around each circle).
And though a mathmetician might then conlcude that the joy would also flatten out due to a feeling of normalcy per-se, they are not perhaps considering beyond the confines of the system they're analysing.
As such, they are possibly forgetting that spreading that joy among loved ones, friends and neighbours, and even total strangers in the form of free bananas (because you have too much so easily), potentially further the ever increasing joy, until all involved explode in a fountain of cringeworthy positivity.

I may have missed the point (and certainly lack the mathematical terminology) but there's some truth in there, somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtySix View Post
I heard "from a guy" this weekend...
Thanks for the tangent. Potential intercrop among the bananas perhaps - best of both worlds?
That, or banana infused cannabis...
Em is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Em