Thread: Updates
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
customgreen

Zone: 10
Name: Bob
BananaBucks : 11,931
Said "Thanks" 5 Times
Was Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Updates

I haven't been on for quite a while. Tons of things going on. The weather here in Southwest Florida has finally started it's rain pattern. We have had some very good rains this week. We had been without any "real" rain for 5 weeks. A ten minute shower or light sprinkle here and there.
We used our collected rain water fairly quickly since we have extensive gardens. Mostly we used house water just to keep things green. Now stuff is taking off especially the bananas. They are loving the rain.
I did pick up two plants from a on line nursery. One was a Sweetheart that is doing very well. The other is a Kandarian, that is weak, and very small. Both plants were the same size when I received them. Now the Sweetheart is 10 inches tall. The Kandarian is barely 3 inches tall and has only produced two leafs since I have had it. I will nurse it along and see how it does.
A good friend of mine bought a fairly large piece of property. There were a lot of Banana plants along side a barn. He initially cut them down and figured that would be the end of it. LOL. They came right back up. He called me and asked if I wanted them, and if so come dig them up. I got 13 plants that are very healthy. I transferred them to pots with my banana soil that I make up. They have been in pots since April 29th and have grown through the bottoms of each pot. He said the previous owner did not know the variety but said they grew very sweet bananas. I am guessing Cavendish since that is about what everyone has in their yard. I will plant a few and probably sell the rest. My Dwarf Maoli is growing like a mad man. The leafs on it are huge. It did have a caterpillar that was chewing holes in the leafs. It was down in the stem. I managed to stab it with a long thin spike. The next leaf that came up has some holes in it, but the one that has come out just the other day doesn't show any damage yet. It still needs to unroll.
Between the raised beds that my wife has put in, the Mexican Sunflowers, regular sunflowers, wild tomatoes, and bananas everywhere it is getting very tropical. Lovin life right now.
customgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To customgreen
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors