View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lumpy Lass (Pirate Queen)

BananaBucks : 4,818
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Hardy Bananas for UK? (list of species)

Many thanks Jmoore,

I don't mind non-fruiting varieties.. its the jungle look that I love most about them to be honest..

But am keen to get ones that are different to the ones I already have now... Ive missed out on a few variegated basjoos on ebay, but I understand that the varigation grows out in most of them anyways, so not too bothered and glad to not fork out that much tbh ;o)

Really appreciate the suggestion of the Griersonii, and have just bought x10 seeds off of ebay because of this and will try to germinate them by soaking in some orange juice for a few days and then possibly the airing cupboard or a 28oC proporgator that I have somewhere.... (have never managed to propagate any of my seeds before, but I hear this method has really good results)

I also have some sikki Manipur seeds that I hope will germinate too, as they have LOADS of red on the leaves... will look striking against the greens of my garden...

do you know the latin name for the Darjeeling giant pls? this sounds AWESOME!! and will def be on my 'buy the seeds list' lol ;o)

What is the latin name for the Yangste River plant you have? as again i'd really love to look this one up and perhaps give it a go.... whats your experience of its hardiness? would it be okay outside protected? or inside a cold conservatory in the winter months?

Greatly appreciate your advice / words of wisdom, and glad to be a member of this forum with other people who share the same Bananary-passion ;o)

Mellissa
Lumpy Lass (Pirate Queen) is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lumpy Lass (Pirate Queen)