View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
meizzwang

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 68,429
Said "Thanks" 647 Times
Was Thanked 1,031 Times in 218 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: rajapuri outdoors in Northern California (grow report)

TASTE REPORT

Okay, this won't be in depth because I forgot the details (it's been a while), but here's the big picture: my family and I ate every last one, and even the tiny ones were outstanding! My wife said she likes this banana better than the American Goldfinger (FHIA-1), which is pretty crazy. In my opinion, the flavor of the Rajapuri I sampled isn't as rich and complex as American Goldfinger FHIA-1, but the slightly dense texture, sweetness, and slight acidity makes it high quality.

There's mixed reports on the quality of rajapuri fruit, and if you eat it right when it turns solid yellow, it's about as good as a poorly grown commercial variety. Give it a few days after the fingers have turned solid yellow and that's when the flavor is on hit! Every variety has a peak ripeness, so it's important to figure out when that is for best results.

Downsides of Rajapuri:
1) the reports of this variety choking is true, I had one that choked recently.
2)In Northern California, fruit that form late in the season (past October 15) will likely rot under normal winter conditions.
3) Grows VERY slow compared to other cultivars, didn't get the first fruit until approx. 3 years from planting.
4) Easy to over-water and over-fertilize due to slower growth.
5) PITA when it comes to managing pups, seems like when you cut them down, 10 more show up!
6) Yields seem smaller than other varieties, but we'll see, I still need more experience with this variety.

Upsides to Rajapuri:
1) In Northern California, early spring blooms can produce mature bananas! In contrast, american goldfinger FHIA-1 under the same exact conditions and timing, had all the fingers rot away.
2) relatively higher cold tolerance. this may be due to the fact that it's slower growing?
3) It's a true dwarf. Expect 6-8 feet tall.
4) When many other varieties have their leaves turn brown due to prolonged cold, near freezing temps, many leaves of rajapuri remain green.
5) When grown slow and steady with lots of organic matter, fruit quality is excellent.
6) post harvest, the bunch ripened in goups, so it extended the shelf-life to about 2.5 weeks. Even if they get a little over-ripe, they still taste great!
meizzwang is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To meizzwang
Said thanks: