View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
nealnick5
Nick

Zone: 7b
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 57,242
Said "Thanks" 336 Times
Was Thanked 372 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Thumbs up Re: Musa Aeae White Variegated

Thank you for your advice; I will definitely go easy on the watering aspect. My main objective right now is just keeping it alive and letting it root until spring.

You seem to have very good luck with variegated banana plants and yours are awesome, so I was wondering if you could help me answer 2 questions I have about future growth.

1. Do you think I can plant this variety in full sun or is half shade/full shade best? I have seen pictures of some mature variegated in full sun that seem OK and others getting the *you know what* burned out of the white leaf sections. I was wondering what your take on this was.

2. If I do plant mine in full sun, I have read where the leaves adapt just like with most plants (such as acclimating a shade plant to sun.. the leaves will shrink and become waxy to avoid photo-oxidation) and lose the white coloring. Have you experienced this and also do you think mine would be permanently green or would the default for pups still have white pigmentation due to the mutated genes?
Growing: Ensete ventricosum 'maurelli', Musa balbisiana 'Thai Black', bordelon, basjoo, Dwarf Cavendish, Dwarf Orinoco, itinerans var. itinerans, lasiocarpa, orinoco (tall), saba, sikkimensis 'Red Tiger', TaNee, zebrina, VDN (green), 1000 fingers, praying hands, ornata purple, veluntina, french red, super dwarf cavendish, dwarf iholena, red iholena, balbisiana (yellow), kru, mananzo, zebrina var. gran nain.
nealnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nealnick5
Said thanks: