View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 509,402
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: Southeast Veinte Cohol Flowering

Island Brah,
I have a different suggestion for you, in part because TyTaylor's concept of apical dominance does not apply to monocots.

Also in my perspective -- bananas (and many other plants) have their life center underground and what's above ground is solar panels and sex.

So ... if in your locale, in your situation:
  • I'd let that stalk flower and make some effort to protect it from the cold. Who knows, next June or July the fruit could ripen.
  • I would excavate at least one of the more robust pups and plant it in a pot to over winter indoors in a south facing window. If the first pup you dig up does not have sufficient roots (in your opinion) to survive the transplant, then dig up the next.
  • Bury the remaining pups (if any) along with the base of the "mother" stalk in at least one foot of completely composted bark or mulch. 1" diameter bark would be great.

Now if any of the "outdoor" pups survive, I'd cherish them and have hard decisions next year as to which to keep.

THE GOAL IS: For Veinte Cohol in your locale, learn when the pups need to start growing above ground so that (a) they survive the winter, and (b) produce viable fruit the following year in time to nearly ripen on the stalk.