View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mudturkle

Zone: 8b, and also 9b
Name: Mudturkle
BananaBucks : 30,047
Said "Thanks" 328 Times
Was Thanked 320 Times in 120 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: Time from basal swelling to fruiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytaylor77 View Post
I've tried but can never tell by the pstem swelling. If a flower is splitting the base it will be out of the plant within a few days. Week at the most.

The best way I can tell is by the leaves. They will start getting smaller! Sometimes the pre-pre flag leaf will be noticeable. Most always the pre flag leaf is noticeable.

The pstem splits often during growth. It's normal and doesn't indicate a flower is passing through. Just as the plant grows each leaf causes it to get larger and larger from the inside out. When it reaches the leafs maximum. It splits! Normal sign of growth.

From what I've read about the dwarf Iholena they get from 8'-10'. Watch those leaves! Please post lots of pictures of it blooming if it is! You don't see a lot about these and I would love to see progression pictures of the flower and bunch!
Here is what the Kepler & Rust book says in the thumbnail sketch fo Mai'a Iholena: "Easy to identify, the only semi-dwarfed Iholena in Hawaii (6-8' tall trunk). For Subvariety Ha'a it said: "(extinct?: trunk very short 4 ft.)"

So far, everytime I've seen the very bottom of the p-stem get so big that the bottom leaves stretched so much that they split - they bloomed shortly after that. Not saying that what you said is wrong, but I hope you're wrong! At the rate it's going I'd guess that it might make it to 7', but not much more. I'm hoping that it will be a week or so. I'm familiar with the flag leaf and the pre-flag leaf. Pre-pre flag leaf? That I need to watch for! Thanks, Ty.
Sponsors