View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lavenderjade

BananaBucks : 26,555
Said "Thanks" 21 Times
Was Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Best potting mix for containers

Hey everyone
I have 4 banana plants, 2 Musa Basjoo which I believe are cold hardy, a Musa Cavendish red and a Musa ensete Maurelli red. All growing rapidly at the moment. I need to pot on the Basjoo ones and I repotted the Maurelli a couple of weeks ago but I am not happy with the potting mix I used as it feels very heavy and I am not sure it is draining well enough. I used equal parts John Innes no 2, horticultural sand and horticultural grit. The pot has plenty of drainage holes but it seems to stay wet a bit too long for my liking. I like the mix my Cavendish is in but it came like that and I don't know what it is...it is quite fibrous and lightweight when getting dry so it's easy to tell when watering is needed. What do you guys use? I am in the U.K. Thanks!
Lavenderjade is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lavenderjade
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors