View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
gaudesys

BananaBucks : 12,142
Said "Thanks" 16 Times
Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Size of banana fruit

P.S. Regarding fill in and ripen, do bananas grow in size AFTER they become hanging with fower? First plant bear fruits in March but I dont think the fruit became thicker (fatter, wider) since then. Some fruit is triangular and some more square. On some plants the fruit is extremely curved and even more tiny, like a size of a large finger. This is my first time growing bananas (except in SC I grew banana plants but they never gave fruit for obvious reasons - bad climate, 33 degrees far enoygh south, but North America (US/CAN) is not blessed with reasonable climate due to huge landmass up north and no mountains to block the cold air), so I am having all kinds of questions in my head and here.

I believe we must add several criteria together:

Climate (probabaly not good enough)
Elevation (150 m or 500 ft.) probably too high)
Sun exposure (probabaly a bit too little)
Quality of soil (probabaly too poor)
Fertlization (probabaly to little)
Wind exposure (probabaly too much)
Watering (I water enough and not too much)
Mulch (?) (I got lots of pine bark mulch in the entire area of 12m x 1,8m (40 ft. x 6 ft.) that is surrounded by low stone walls.

Regarding watering the locals told me they never water bananas as Azores get enough rain, but once during summer can get 2-3 weeks with no rain at all.

As you can see per above, a lot of factors that are too expensive, too time consuming, so the bannaas grow in their small Azorean size (reasonable) and very tasty.

The locals say bananas are better grown on the south and west side of the island. Our bananas are same or tiny bit longer than the ones in your avatar.

One guy told me to wait until October to open up the bananas to have them ripe and then I will see whether it is worth growing bananas in my yard. A lot of people here grow bananas in deep pits, full height of bananas covered by pits, to protect them from wind. Otherwise they grow natural fence from plants such as Faia or shrubs. In addition to all this trouble we have to go through, in our area the soil is just lava stone, so we must buy soil or make our own. One truck of 15 cubic meters (probably 170 cu ft?) of soil (with some large stones included) costs about $200 and imagine how many trucks you need to cover a reasonable small field with a couple feet deep of good soil.

Because of wind, one needs to ave a cold frame greenhouse just to grow anything reasonably year round. Because of wind.

Last edited by gaudesys : 07-18-2017 at 08:34 AM.
gaudesys is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To gaudesys
Said thanks:
Sponsors