View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
gaudesys

BananaBucks : 12,142
Said "Thanks" 16 Times
Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Size of banana fruit

luisport: Pico island, Azores

sputinc7: I planted them begining of June 2015 with well draining but not rich soil full of stones and you could call it sandy as well, gave fertilizer and mulched everywhere so not a single grass grew and weeded regularly, then some months later gave them a different big bag of fertilizer. Then early this year I gave them seaweed from ocean, but which one was kept for a while to rain-drain of salt contents. Those with seaweed "mulch" started giving fruit soon after. We get a lot of wind, but my location is in a slight pit, still gets wind but not as bad. I thought bananas want rich dark black soil. Our soil and ground is extremely well draining so even dug up pits never get flooded. I thought the problem could be NOT ENUFF HEAT, or too much wind in "winter" or poor soil I gave it, but I added black soil around the stems and gave fert. and seaweed, so I thought small bananas are caused by my 150m (about 500 ft.) elevation and northern slope oif the island, but we still get enough sun for the bananas althoufgh not as much as coastal locations where Sun rises or sets low.

I am surprised that even southern Illinois would bear banana fruit? Zone 5 and 6? Perhaps zone 7 in the south? I lived in NC and SC for a while, zone 7 and 8. US East Coast's potentially (sub)tropical climate is destroyed by arctic air, even in Florida. I am 38 degrees north same as SF, Indianapolis or DC yet we have a coolish tropical climate here, or oceanic subtropical.

Yet my main question would still stand: is there such thing as 2nd and 3rd generation (offsprings of planted bananas) banana fruits turn out larger than first ones?

Last edited by gaudesys : 07-18-2017 at 09:07 AM.
gaudesys is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To gaudesys
Said thanks: