View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
ChocoTaco369

Zone: 8A
BananaBucks : 8,173
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 65 Times in 14 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: The North Carolina Banana Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
I looked that one up...what are you wanting to do...a maximum security barrier?

That thing looks positively NASTY.
The CIDP is pretty spiny and sharp as well, though. Just less...prickly?

The Canary Island Date Palm I find to be stunningly beautiful, but North Carolina is just too inhospitable of a climate for the long run unless you can find a perfect microclimate somewhere (or make your own).

It is just so majestic.

Phoenix Canariensis

The Cretan Island Date Palm is thought to be the wild type of all date palms - possibly the original. It's considerably hardier - I've heard stories of people's CIDP getting completely defoliated while their Cretan Date Palm planted right next to it didn't even get frond burn. Because of the thorny barbs, its limited habitat and customs laws, they're not found much in the US. They're mostly sold in the UK from nurseries.

I think they're the closest thing to getting the look of the CIDP with the cold hardiness I'd need - and I'd probably be the only guy in North Carolina with one.

Phoenix Theophrasti (Cretan Date Palm)

Should be tons of fun trying to give that a pineapple cut, huh? I found a place in Texas that apparently sells them, but I'd have to get a 5 gallon and wait a long time.
ChocoTaco369 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ChocoTaco369
Said thanks: