View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
meizzwang

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 68,997
Said "Thanks" 647 Times
Was Thanked 1,031 Times in 218 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: San Diego cool tolerant dwarf bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacarias View Post
Hello,

So I'm kinda bummed that dwarf brazilian and dwarf namwa actually grow too big for my patio needs even though I think they'd be perfect for San Diego. The only dwarfs that seem doable in a pot in an apartment patio are like dwarf reds/greens or grand nain/dwarf cavendish. The problem is according to what I read, those are not that cold hardy and in San Diego the winter will set them back quite a bit. Any other suggestions??

Z
Dwarf Namwah will probably work, but it'll be stunted unless you have a really, really big pot.

Maybe try rajapuri, which only gets 6' tall even when planted in the ground and well cared for. if you check out the banana wiki page for it, it was fruited in a pot successfully. I've also seen Dwarf orinoco successfully fruited in a pot. However, in San Diego, you have the right climate to grow so many different varieties, too bad you can't put them into the ground.

Challenge is, you really need a reputable source to get the plant you want, especially rajapuri. Some folks have purchased many different rajapuris from many different sources, most of which didn't turn out to be rajapuri. Try acquiring plants from members on this forum who have solid reputations, I've had the best of luck getting properly ID'd plants this way.
meizzwang is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To meizzwang
Said thanks:
Sponsors