View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Island Brah

Zone: 7b & 8a Border
Name: Island Brah
BananaBucks : 56,134
Said "Thanks" 556 Times
Was Thanked 345 Times in 117 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 27 Times
Default Re: Winter Hibernating Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharriett View Post
Question: I'm looking at doing something like that in my garage this winter as the higher ceiling will work better for a growing banana. My problem is heat. Do you do anything besides the light to heat your banana in the winter? We're usually below freezing here in Ohio and keeping my plant warm will be my biggest challenge in the garage.
The CFL lights produces very little heat and wouldn't produce enough heat to overcome freezing temps.

How long does it stay below freezing in your garage? I used a cheap old heater when it got really cold outside but I could tell the bananas did not like the heater. I think it dried them out/removed all the humidity.

If it gets below freezing in your garage, you're going to have to spend a lot of money to keep them warm or not keep them in there at all.

How tall are the bananas going to be when you put them inside for the winter? If you have another room, how tall are the ceilings? They grow very slow in the winter so you may not need as much ceiling height as you think.